Gastroscopy


Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Wikipedia.
The following article is from The Great Soviet Encyclopedia (1979). It might be outdated or ideologically biased.

Gastroscopy

 

examination of the gastric cavity by means of a special instrument, the gastroscope, which is inserted into the stomach through the mouth and the esophagus; a form of endoscopy. The gastroscope is a flexible tube with an optic system of numerous short-focus lenses and an electric bulb inside it. The gastroscope can easily and safely be inserted into the stomach. It is used when a stomach tumor or an ulcer is suspected and, in gastritis, for a detailed examination of the mucous membrane.

REFERENCES

Mnogotomnoe rukovodstvo po vnutrennim bolezniam, vol. 4. Moscow, 1965. Pages 36–39.
The Great Soviet Encyclopedia, 3rd Edition (1970-1979). © 2010 The Gale Group, Inc. All rights reserved.
References in periodicals archive ?
And when someone called him a 'big Nancy' for seeking pain relief, he retorted, "I'm told 70 per cent of people who have a gastroscopy opt for a sedative, and the other 30 per cent later wish they had...
Another chemo session was planned for three weeks' time, then a gastroscopy (camera down throat) to see how the primary tumour was responding.
During gastroscopy, two specimens were taken from the prepyloric and two from the body regions using the standard sterile biopsy forceps.
Case 2: A 65-year-old woman suffered from epigastric pain and presented multiple mucosal elevated lesions under gastroscopy at another hospital.
The advantage of gastroscopy is that it can accurately identify the location of lesions and extract samples for biopsy.
A gastroscopy was performed under general anesthesia and the foreign body was successfully retrieved.
We advised for clinical examination and ultrasound of testis yearly and capsule endoscopy, colonoscopy, and gastroscopy biannually.
Although our patient had vomiting for the last seven years, her symptoms increased further in the last two months, she lost 8 kg and most probably, the extensive fungal esophagitis found on gastroscopy had deteriorated the clinical picture.
Method: From December 2012 to April 2014, two hundred patients receiving painless transnasal gastroscopy on a voluntary basis were selected in Endoscopy center, The First People's Hospital of GuiYang.
As with the term 'gastroenterologist', 'gastroscopy' requires a lengthy explanation and some medical knowledge.
She discussed at length about Urease Breath Test and biopsy for patients undergoing gastroscopy.
Gastroscopy has been proved effective in retrieval of foreign body without surgical intervention.