gliosis


Also found in: Dictionary, Medical, Wikipedia.

gliosis

[glī′ō·səs]
(medicine)
Proliferation of neuroglia in the brain or spinal cord, either as a replacement process or in response to a low-grade inflammation.
References in periodicals archive ?
Nonsuppurative myelitis is oriented on the ventral horn involving neuronal degeneration with satellitosis (black arrow), neuronophagia (arrowhead), and glial nodule formation (blue arrow), accompanied by perivascular mononuclear cell I accumulation and gliosis. Scale bar indicates 60 pm.
[4-6] Excess deposition of iron causes neuronal degeneration, gliosis, and spheroid formation (Vacuolization).
In most cases there was no hyperintense gliosis area around cavernous malformations in FLAIR images; narrow marginal gliosis was observed only in 16.3% of patients.
In all cases the final pathology result was determined in 54 (87%) of the 62 patients, the other 8 (13%) patients had biopsy specimens reported as 'reactive gliosis'.
This tendency of two peaks is consistent with a previous finding.[13] Reactive gliosis and neuronal swelling also have been observed in the hippocampus of rats subjected to blast injury.[42] Overall, neuronal injury and gliosis in frontal lobe and hippocampus were significantly higher at 3 days post-bTBI induced by moderate blast.
There is also increased signal indicating gliosis and/or dysplasia seen posterolateral to the mass with a single focus of cystic change and no evidence of communication with the ventricular system in the axial plane.
Morphologic diagnoses of the cerebellum included multifocal, subacute Purkinje cell degeneration, necrosis, with Bergmann's astrocytosis, granular cell atrophy, and chronic, locally extensive encephalomalacia with mineralization, gliosis, spongiosis, neovascularization, and gitter cell infiltration.
Generalized gliosis demonstrated in seven patients being 3.18% of the population.
Vitrectomy was performed at two months, after which cystic gliosis and optic nerve avulsion were detected.
On the other hand, gliosis may hinder regeneration as the mechanical barrier of the gliotic scar is generally considered impenetrable for axons (6-9,19,20).
At a biochemical and molecular level, ASH ameliorated the HFD-induced reactive gliosis and microgliosis and suppressed the expression of inflammatory markers such as RRARy, iNOS, MCP1, TNF[alpha], IL-1[beta] B and IL-6.