Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Acronyms, Idioms, Wikipedia.
1. a deep ravine, esp one through which a river runs
2. the contents of the stomach
3. Archaic the throat or gullet
Collins Discovery Encyclopedia, 1st edition © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
The entrance to a bastion.
A narrow passage between mountains or the walls of a canyon, especially one with steep, rocky walls.
A collection of solid matter obstructing a channel or a river, as an ice gorge.
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of Scientific & Technical Terms, 6E, Copyright © 2003 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.
cavetto, gorge, hollow, throat, trochilus
scotia, which has a noncircular curvature.A hollow member or round concave molding containing at least the quadrant of a circle, used in cornices and between the tori of bases, etc. Erroneously called
1. In some orders of columnar architecture, a narrow band around the shaft near the top, or forming part of the capital near the bottom; a fillet or narrow member which seems to divide the capital from the shaft.
2. A cavetto or hollow molding.
3. A narrow entry into a bastion.
hollow molding, gorge, trochilus
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of Architecture and Construction. Copyright © 2003 by McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.