gun emplacement


Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Wikipedia.

gun emplacement

[′gən em¦plās·mənt]
(ordnance)
Firing location of a gun together with necessary installations, such as camouflage, and ammunition supply.
References in periodicals archive ?
As the amtracs chugged along, the battleships Colorado (BB-45) and Maryland (BB-46) fired their massive 16-inch guns, answering the Japanese naval gun emplacements that initiated the historic battle for Tarawa.
Every bay and headland featured the overgrown and crumbling remnants of a machine-gun post or gun emplacement built to repel an Allied invasion.
Feelings of respect for the men of D-Day arise again at the massive concrete cliff-top gun emplacement at Pointe du Hoc, just west of Omaha Beach.
On the outbreak of war, he joined the Grenadier Guards and led an attack on a well-fortified German gun emplacement in North Africa and although it was taken, he was severely wounded in the leg.
In the First World War, Fort Coulson gun emplacement was built to protect Blyth, and was pressed into service again in the next war.
The first large gun barrel to arrive was five-and-a quarter-inch anti-aircraft gun barrel of World War Two vintage; this closely resembled the six-inch guns which were originally used on site and, as such, was placed in the WW1 Barbette gun emplacement.
WORK IN PROGRESS: July 1951 saw traffic in Westgate, Almondbury, disrupted for road widening works (51-2395 ); CHURCH TIMES: The new Anglican church of St Michael and St Helen was taking shape in August 1954 on the Fernside Estate (54-4132); POST-WAR EDUCATION: The site for the proposed Almondbury County Secondary School was already occupied - by a World War 2 anti-aircraft gun emplacement.
Other finds in some 140 trenches at the site include Roman coins, a 19th century fowling boat and a gun emplacement from the Second World War.
The area got its name because there was a gun emplacement dating from the Second World War a few years earlier.
The last one was demolished during the Civil War to prevent it being used as a gun emplacement against Dudley Castle.