Having need | Article about having need by The Free Dictionary
need (redirected from having need)
Also found in: Dictionary
An acquired or physiological lack or deficit within the individual.
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of Scientific & Technical Terms, 6E, Copyright © 2003 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.
While many sociologists have registered their dissatisfaction with NEEDS 1 , arguing that human needs are not universal but socially formed, conceptions of human needs have not been confined to psychologists or functionalist sociologists. Frankfurt School neo-Marxist sociologists (e.g. MARCUSE) refer to the ‘false needs’ created by capitalist societies, thus implying human ‘needs’. Conceptions of ‘absolute’ and ‘relative’ POVERTY also depend on conceptions of physiological and social needs. see also BASIC HUMAN NEEDS.
- the basic requirements necessary to sustain human life. MASLOW (1954) suggested a hierarchy of needs from the basic physiological needs for food, safety and shelter, to psychological needs of belonging, approval, love, and finally the need for SELF-ACTUALIZATION. Only the physiological needs are essential for sustaining life and, according to Maslow, must be fulfilled before higher needs can be met. Some sociologists have argued that the existence of human needs indicates that universal FUNCTIONAL PREREQUISITES for the survival of any society can be identified.
- any socially acquired individual ‘drive’ (personality need), e.g. ACHIEVEMENT MOTIVATION.
- a distinction may also be drawn between basic needs and felt needs. In ECONOMICS, the term wants is used to refer both to psychological and social ‘felt needs’ and also to the goods which stimulate these.
Collins Dictionary of Sociology, 3rd ed. © HarperCollins Publishers 2000
References in periodicals archive
In contrast, Andy Cuomo wants to upgrade the south parkway so tourists can more easily park, dine, sightsee, buy souvenirs and then exit the Niagara Falls State Park without having need
or reason to enter the city.
She feels selfish for having needs
of her own, and attributes this unhealthy attitude to neglectful Leona, whom she both loves and hates.
The Lilywhites cruised to an impressive derby win over the Latics with Maguire having needed
just six minutes to get on the scoresheet.
- Havelock, Sir Henry
- Havelock's law
- Havelok the Dane
- Havemeyer, Henry O.
- Havemeyer, Henry Osborne
- Havemeyer, Louisine Waldron
- Havemeyer, William Frederick
- Havenwoods State Forest
- Haverfield, Francis John
- Haverhill fever
- Haversian canal
- Haversian Canals
- Haversian lamella
- Haversian system
- Haviland, John
- having need
- Havisham, Miss
- Havlicek, John
- Havlicek, John J.
- Havlicek-Borovský, Karel
- Havlíckuv Brod
- Havránek, Bohuslav
- Hawaii County
- Hawaii State Parks
- Hawaii Volcanoes National Park
- Hawaiian Anticyclone
- Hawaiian Honeycreepers
- Hawaiian Islands
- Hawaiian Islands Humpback Whale National Marine Sanctuary
- Hawaiian Islands National Wildlife Refuge
- Hawaiian Subregion