heavy(redirected from heavier)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Financial, Idioms.
Related to heavier: heaviest
1. having a relatively high density
2. (of soil) having a high clay content; cloggy
3. (of an industry) engaged in the large-scale complex manufacture of capital goods or extraction of raw materials
4. cloudy or overcast, esp threatening rain
5. (of an element or compound) being or containing an isotope with greater atomic weight than that of the naturally occurring element
6. Horse racing (of the going on a racecourse) soft and muddy
a. a villainous role
b. an actor who plays such a part
8. Scot strong bitter beer
Collins Discovery Encyclopedia, 1st edition © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
In R/T (radio telephony) terminology, it means large aircraft in the heavy wake turbulence category (e.g., “Air-India 123 heavy”). The suffix indicates that the aircraft is a large transport, alerting controllers and following aircraft to the possibility of wake turbulence.
An Illustrated Dictionary of Aviation Copyright © 2005 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved