hogged fuel

hogged fuel

[′hägd ¦fyül]
(materials)
Sawmill refuse that has been fed through a disintegrator, or hog, by which the various sizes and forms are reduced to a practically uniform size of chips or shreds.
References in periodicals archive ?
Burning wood residue in boilers for heat generation has historically been restricted to those industries where biomass or "hogged fuel" is readily available as a byproduct, primarily in the forest products industry.
In addition to burning mill hogged fuel, other options for heat generation include collecting and using forest residuals commonly left in the forest for "slash" burning or decay and "clean demolition material" normally fated for the landfill.
Add to that the fact the EWEB now must generate steam using more expensive natural gas - instead of hogged fuel, a kind of sawdust made from sawmill waste that was once cheap and plentiful - and the bills go up even more.
3 Hammermills: GP Rocket, Hogged fuel, shavings, chips,
The second phase would involve replacing 1950s era boilers that originally were heated by burning hogged fuel - sawdust left over from lumber production - with state-of-the-art boilers that burn natural gas.
The plant years ago switched from hogged fuel to natural gas, but the aging system doesn't operate at anywhere near the efficiencies of modern equipment.
The PNW used 1.39E+06 BTUs of heat in processing, of which 90.5 percent was from hogged fuel and the other 9.5 percent was from natural gas.
Bark and wood wastes used for hogged fuel were not allocated any emissions.
Within the LCI plywood model, a number of scenarios will be studied, including 1) fuel switching: looking at the impact of hogged fuel versus natural gas in terms of emissions and economics; 2) use of emissions control devices in terms of total emissions, including those for the manufacture and delivery of the electricity and natural gas used to operate these devices; and 3) energy-saving approaches.
Wigwams were cast iron cones where lumber mills burned their waste wood, called hogged fuel.
More than 70 years ago, Rexius sold wood chips as hogged fuel for boilers instead of just letting them go up in smoke in wigwam burners.