septum(redirected from horizontal septum)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical.
Related to horizontal septum: median septum
1. Biology anatomy a dividing partition between two tissues or cavities
2. a dividing partition or membrane between two cavities in a mechanical device
Collins Discovery Encyclopedia, 1st edition © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
A partition or dividing wall between two cavities.
A metal plate placed across a waveguide and attached to the walls by highly conducting joints; the plate usually has one or more windows, or irises, designed to give inductive, capacitive, or resistive characteristics.
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of Scientific & Technical Terms, 6E, Copyright © 2003 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.
1. A low wall or balustrade which divided the nave of the ancient basilican church into a middle section (for the clergy) and two side sections (for the laity).
2. A low wall around a tomb.
3. The enclosure of the Holy Table made by the altar rails in a church.
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of Architecture and Construction. Copyright © 2003 by McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.