immersion heater


Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Acronyms, Wikipedia.

immersion heater

[ə′mər·zhən ‚hēd·ər]
(electricity)
An electric device for heating a liquid by direct immersion in the liquid.

immersion heater

A heater in which the electric heating element, submerged in a water tank, is controlled by a thermostat built into the tank or in contact with the water.
References in periodicals archive ?
An earlier hearing of the inquest was told Miss Shaw was electrocuted when an immersion heater overheated, causing water to overflow, and flooding a cupboard containing electrical contacts and piping.
The Journal homemaker: Three-bedroom link villa in Brunswick Green, Wideopen, with hall, fitted wardrobes, kitchen/ dinette with breakfast bar and teak-finish units, plumbed for automatic washer, fully-tiled bathroom, airing cupboard with immersion heater, gardens and detached garage, invites offers of around pounds 16,950.
They got away with tools and an immersion heater. PC Gary Cowan said the area is surrounded by football pitches and allotments and anyone who saw anything suspicious is urged to contact him on 01642 302126 or anonymously on Crimestoppers 0800 555 111.
A defective immersion heater had caused overheated water to flood an insufficiently supported tank which collapsed, the Helston inquest heard.
FIREFIGHTERS had to search a smoke-filled house to make sure no- one was inside after an immersion heater started a blaze in an airing cupboard.
Tenders are invited for Silica cased immersion heater total length 900mm
An inquest opened in West Bromwich yesterday heard that an immersion heater had overheated, causing water to boil and leak and flooding a cupboard containing electrical contacts and piping.
Elsie Scott was blown out of her bedroom when her immersion heater exploded in August.
A defective immersion heater caused overheated water to flood a plastic tank which then collapsed in Penzance, Cornwall.
There is also a built-in linen cupboard with lagged copper hot water cylinder and immersion heater.
The blaze was started by a faulty cable in the immersion heater in the airing cupboard.
The fire, believed to have been caused by an electrical fault in an immersion heater, caused extensive damage to the property, leaving it uninhabitable.