insulinoma

(redirected from insulinomas)
Also found in: Dictionary, Medical.

insulinoma

[‚in·sə·lə′nō·mə]
(medicine)
Mentioned in ?
References in periodicals archive ?
Both patients underwent surgery for suspected neuroendocrine tumors, the first for a suspected non-secreting neuroendocrine tumor and the second for a suspected insulinoma of the pancreatic body.
Although we had hoped to study insulinomas more specifically, the functional status of pNETs could not be determined for all cases on retrospective chart review.
The focal form of persistent hyperinsulinemic hypoglycemia of infancy: morphological and molecular studies show structural and functional differences with insulinoma.
Most of the patients with insulinoma (65%) become hypoglycemic within the first 24 hours.
In >85% of cases, parathyroid tumors are the initial manifestation of MEN 1; in the remaining patients (<15%), the initial manifestation is an insulinoma or a prolactinoma.
Pancreatic neuroendocrine tumors Tumor Prevalence Malignancy Rate amongst PETs Insulinoma 40% 10% Gastrinoma 20% 60% Non-Functioning 35% 85% Glucagonoma Rare 80% VIPoma Rare 70% Somatistatinoma Rare 70% Tumor Clinical Symptoms, Features Insulinoma Hypoglycemia, elevated serum C-peptide Gastrinoma Gastric hypersecretion leading to post/bulbar ulcers and diarrhea.
Despite the known effect of hypoglycemia on AVID secretion, no case of SIADH or hyponatremia has been reported in an individual with insulinoma in the literature.
The presence of amyloid is frequent in insulinomas.
Insulinomas typically present with fasting hypoglycemia, neuroglycopenic symptoms, and inappropriate insulin secretion.
Several reports have examined the utility of a rapid intraoperative insulin test for the preoperative localization of pancreatic insulinomas in patients with type 1 multiple endocrine neoplasia.
Insulinomas, for example, produce too much insulin, causing serious low blood sugar, or hypoglycemia.