joiner's gauge

Also found in: Dictionary.

marking gauge, butt gauge

marking gauge
A carpenter’s tool for scribing a line parallel to an edge; consists of an adjustable faceplate (which is run along the edge) mounted on a rod containing a marking point.
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of Architecture and Construction. Copyright © 2003 by McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.