lamp cord

lamp cord

[′lamp ‚kȯrd]
(electricity)
Two twisted or parallel insulated wires, usually no. 18 or no. 20, used chiefly for connecting electric equipment to wall outlets.
Mentioned in ?
References in periodicals archive ?
Each of the five valves had its own power supply (16/2 lamp cord) that ran from a single switchbox (see figures 2 and 3).
In both incidents, which occurred in Europe, the lamp cord was pulled into the crib by the infants.
"I felt frayed and worn like a bad lamp cord," she writes, "waiting helplessly [to] burst into flame."
Then superior engineering borne of millennia of evolution kicks in, and dropping 15 times theiown height ends with a perfect landing and a surprise attack on the lamp cord.
They're equipped with sophisticated electronics that can detect an arcing condition (like in a frayed lamp cord), which may not be detected by a standard circuit breaker until after a fire has started.
In one spot, a lamp cord had been spliced into the house wiring.
Mark Robinson, 43, of Billingham, was first jailed as a teenager in 1979 after admitting strangling Patricia Wagner with a lamp cord.
"Copper can range anywhere from lamp cord, which is about 30 percent copper, to building wire, which is about 90 percent copper, says Schillberg.
Before getting into the nitty gritty, I should note that ancillary equipment used in this series of comparisons included a pair of Dunlavy Cantata speakers, a pair of AR Phantom 8.3 speakers, an AudioSource amp One power amp, a Carver M500 power amp, a Yamaha DSP-A1000 integrated amp, an Onkyo TX-DS787 receiver, a Carver C-1 preamp, a Samsung DV905 DVD player (used strictly as a CD player in my roll-around test rack), multiple sets of 1.5-foot, gold-plated interconnects (actually designed for automotive use, I think), and varying lengths of fine-stranded 12-AWG speaker wire and 16- and 18-AWG lamp cord.
UL adopted the new cords standards based on reports of 51 fires and six deaths in the past three years attributed to portable lamp cord damage.
While unscrewing the socket allow the lamp cord to rotate freely inside the lamp base.
In both cases, the lamp cord was pulled by the infants.