Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Wikipedia.
Related to ledge: flurry
1. a ridge of rock that lies beneath the surface of the sea
2. a narrow shelflike rock projection on a cliff or mountain
Collins Discovery Encyclopedia, 1st edition © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
A horizontal timber on the back of a batten door or on a framed and braced door.
A raised edge or molding.
A narrow shelf projecting from the side of a vertical structure.
A horizontal timber that supports the put-logs of scaffolding.
A narrow, shelflike ridge or rock protrusion, much longer than high, and usually horizontal, formed in a rock wall or on a cliff face.
A ridge of rocks found underwater, especially one near a shore or connected with and bordering a shore.
In-gate for a foundry mold.
A mining quarry exposure.
An outcrop associated with a mineral deposit.
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of Scientific & Technical Terms, 6E, Copyright © 2003 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.
1. A small projecting member or molding.
2. A wood member across a number of boards to hold them together.
3. An unframed member which stiffens a board, or a series of boards or battens.
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of Architecture and Construction. Copyright © 2003 by McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.