Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Legal, Financial, Idioms, Wikipedia.
1. a flat horizontal slab of stone
2. a horizontal scaffold pole fixed to two upright poles for supporting the outer ends of putlogs
a. a wire trace that allows the weight to rest on the bottom and the bait to float freely
b. (as modifier): ledger tackle
A wood strip nailed to the lower side of a girder to provide a bearing surface for joists.
A main horizontal member of formwork, supported on uprights and supporting the soffit of the formwork.
The horizontal support for a scaffold platform.
1. In formwork, a horizontal member which is supported by hangers or by upright posts and carries joists.
2. A horizontal member which is housed in the studs of balloon framing and carries joists.
3. In scaffolding, one of the horizontal members fastened to uprights which support the put-logs and which are at right angles to the wall; they carry the boards on which the workmen stand.
4. A flat slab of stone, such as that laid horizontally over a grave.