country(redirected from line of country)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Idioms.
1. a territory distinguished by its people, culture, language, geography, etc.
2. an area of land distinguished by its political autonomy; state
3. the people of a territory or state
a. the part of the land that is away from cities or industrial areas; rural districts
b. (as modifier): country cottage
5. one's native land or nation of citizenship
6. go or appeal to the country Chiefly Brit to dissolve Parliament and hold an election
Collins Discovery Encyclopedia, 1st edition © HarperCollins Publishers 2005