Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Acronyms, Wikipedia.
Related to loft: banana republic
1. the space inside a roof
2. a gallery, esp one for the choir in a church
3. a room over a stable used to store hay
4. an upper storey of a warehouse or factory, esp when converted into living space
5. a raised house or coop in which pigeons are kept
a. (in golf) the angle from the vertical made by the club face to give elevation to a ball
b. elevation imparted to a ball
c. a lofting stroke or shot
Collins Discovery Encyclopedia, 1st edition © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
An open space beneath a roof often used for storage; one of the upper floors of a warehouse or factory, typically unobstructed except for columns, with high ceilings; the upper space in a church, choir or organ loft.
Illustrated Dictionary of Architecture Copyright © 2012, 2002, 1998 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved
An upper part of a building.
A work area in a factory or warehouse.
The quality of resilience possessed by wool that permits it to return to its original shape after deformation.
The degree of bulkiness of manufactured fibers and blends.
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of Scientific & Technical Terms, 6E, Copyright © 2003 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.
2. Upper space in a barn, e.g., cockloft, hayloft.
3. Upper space in a church or concert hall, e.g., choir loft, organ loft. Also see rood loft.
4. Unpartitioned space in a loft building.
5. In a theater stagehouse, the space between the top of the proscenium and the grid.
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of Architecture and Construction. Copyright © 2003 by McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.