Malé (redirected from male genital system)
Also found in: Dictionary
Malé (mä`lā), small island and town (1995 pop. 62,937) of Malé Atoll, capital of the Maldives, in the Indian Ocean. A ship anchorage, Malé is a center of interisland trade with diverse manufacturing. Points of interest include Sultan Park and the National Museum, the Islamic Center, the Old Friday Mosque (1656), the presidential palace, and the old bazaar. Malé International Airport is on adjacent Hulule Island,
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia™ Copyright © 2013, Columbia University Press. Licensed from Columbia University Press. All rights reserved. www.cc.columbia.edu/cu/cup/
The following article is from The Great Soviet Encyclopedia (1979). It might be outdated or ideologically biased.
the island capital of the Republic of the Maldives and a port and trading center in the Indian Ocean. Population, 15,-000 (1972). Dried fish, coconuts, and copra are exported from Male. The island has sea and air communication with the city of Colombo in Sri Lanka.
The Great Soviet Encyclopedia, 3rd Edition (1970-1979). © 2010 The Gale Group, Inc. All rights reserved.
A flower lacking pistils.
Of or pertaining to the sex that produces spermatozoa.
An individual of this sex.
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of Scientific & Technical Terms, 6E, Copyright © 2003 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.
1. of, relating to, or designating the sex producing gametes (spermatozoa) that can fertilize female gametes (ova)
2. (of gametes) capable of fertilizing an egg cell in sexual reproduction
3. (of reproductive organs, such as a testis or stamen) capable of producing male gametes
4. (of flowers) bearing stamens but lacking a functional pistil
5. Electronics Mechanical engineering having a projecting part or parts that fit into a female counterpart
Collins Discovery Encyclopedia, 1st edition © HarperCollins Publishers 2005