NOT TO BE SNIFFED AT: The Beatles mothballs
which are set to go under the hammer at LIPA
The woman, who attends a unit for senile dementia sufferers, had intended the mothballs for her clothes and put them in her pocket.
A hospital spokesman said: "We believe only three had eaten the mothballs, but decided to let nature take its course rather than distress them by pumping their stomachs.
According to the American Association of Poison Control Centers (AAPCC), more than 5,000 people, including 4,000 children under the age of six, are poisoned annually by naphthalene and paradichlorobenzene (PDB) -- the harmful chemicals found in mothballs.
This new moth repellent will reduce parental anxiety and may prevent a lot of frantic trips to the emergency room each year, negating the need for aggressive, and potentially risky treatment of poisonings due to hazardous mothballs," says Dr.
Mothballs made with naphthalene can be poisonous if sucked on or eaten.
Naphthalene mothballs can be especially dangerous for those with sickle cell anemia, sickle cell trait, and a common enzyme deficiency called G6PD.