neoadjuvant chemotherapy


Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Acronyms, Wikipedia.

neoadjuvant chemotherapy

[‚nē·ō¦aj·ə·vənt ‚kē·mō′ther·ə·pē]
(medicine)
A type of chemotherapy that is used to shrink a tumor prior to surgery or radiation.
References in periodicals archive ?
Neoadjuvant chemotherapy with trastuzumab followed by adjuvant trastuzumab versus neoadjuvant chemotherapy alone, in patients with HER2-positive locally advanced breast cancer (the NOAH trial): a randomised controlled superiority trial with a parallel HER2-negative cohort.
Role of sentinel node biopsy in patients having neoadjuvant chemotherapy.
Final analysis of colorectal cancer patients treated with irinotecan and 5-fluorouracil plus folinic acid neoadjuvant chemotherapy for unresectable liver metastases.
The data supporting the use of neoadjuvant chemotherapy in soft tissue sarcoma largely consist of small retrospective series with very few randomized controlled trials.
Compared with the results of Machtay et al, (11) our results using single-agent, neoadjuvant chemotherapy improved CPR by 46% (19% versus 13%) and overall major pathologic response by 50% (63% versus 42%), and our hospital mortality rate of 0% in this group compares favorably with their "early death rate of 9%.
Before neoadjuvant chemotherapy, the researchers performed sentinel node biopsy, modifying the technique slightly for larger cancers by using a greater volume of dye and more injections.
Cell Line Derived Multi-Gene Predictor of Pathologic Response to Neoadjuvant Chemotherapy in Breast Cancer: A Validation Study on US Oncology 02-103 Clinical Trial assesses the predictive accuracy of a multi-gene predictor to four commonly used chemotherapies in breast cancer patients.
Neoadjuvant chemotherapy plus cystectomy compared with cystectomy alone for locally advanced bladder cancer.
Neoadjuvant chemotherapy with doxorubicin and ifosfamide was administered.
Neoadjuvant chemotherapy for hepatoblastoma usually results in considerable reduction of tumor.
The study also found that neoadjuvant chemotherapy (given before surgery), often shrinks breast cancer tumours, making them more likely to be treatable with BCT, or a lumpectomy to remove a portion of the breast followed by radiation.
The patients were randomly assigned to receive adjuvant or neoadjuvant chemotherapy alone or chemotherapy plus IM triptorelin, and were followed for 1 year to compare the incidence of early menopause.