newsprint


Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Wikipedia.

newsprint

[′nüz‚print]
(materials)
The paper used in the publication of newspapers; an impermanent material made from mechanical wood pulp, with some chemical wood pulp.
References in periodicals archive ?
1 million ($US245 million), with newsprint sales up 13.
Hindustan Newsprint has invited bids for upgradation of its existing 100 tonne per day de-inked pulp plant to 150 tonne per day at Newsprint Nagar in Kottayam district.
The Snowflake mill, located about 180 miles from Phoenix, is one of the lowest-cost newsprint mills in North America.
SP is the second-largest producer of 100 percent recycled newsprint and North America's fifth-largest newsprint producer.
UPM followed suit, noting that demand for standard and improved newsprint was higher and prices for standard newsprint averaged 4% higher in Europe in 2005.
To increase the opportunities for such intimacy, preservation chemists such as Tumosa and his colleagues have recently begun to piece together a new picture of how newsprint ages.
CPR officials state it is the only car on the market that can load 50-inch newsprint rolls to the car's full pay-load capacity.
Demand for newsprint is also strong on the domestic market as the price of imported product soared with the rupiah fall in 1998.
Newsprint, you may recall, is that somewhat unpredictable and major operating cost (about 20 percent of all costs on average) that allowed newspaper profits to soar from 1992 through 1994, ate up profits in 1995, then helped profits soar again in 1996.
Trucks transport 95 percent of the newsprint to Gatineau and the remaining 5 percent comes by railcar.
New York Times spokesperson Nancy Nielson told E that less than half a percent of Times newsprint comes from Mac-Millan Bloedel; furthermore, she said, Mac-Millan Bloedel now supplies the Times solely from its Powell River mill, not from the Port Alberni mill which receives lumber from Clayoquot Sound.
Florida is now taxing newspapers for using virgin newsprint, with an offsetting credit for using recycled paper.