Mentioned in ?
References in classic literature ?
We thought it best to hold on the same course, rather than turn more northerly, which might have brought us to the north-west part of Great Tartary, and into the Frozen Sea.
Then, one day, he announced that half his boys had deserted, for a hunting party from the bungalow had come across his northerly camp and he feared that they might have noticed the reduced numbers of his following.
Sometimes a westerly oily wind blew, and at other times an easterly oily wind, and sometimes it blew a northerly oily wind, and maybe a southerly oily wind; but whether it came from the Arctic snows, or was raised in the waste of the desert sands, it came alike to us laden with the fragrance of paraffine oil.
Before making any observations respecting them, I will give an account of a little excursion I made as far as the river Polanco, which is about seventy miles distant, in a northerly direction.
By midday, though we were well up in the northerly latitudes, the heat was sickening.
It came clear and cold, with a touch in the air like frost, and a northerly wind that blew the clouds away and made the stars bright.
The Authority's report states that the surface wind movement in the Red Sea is westerly to westerly northerly at speed of 18-40 km/h, while the surface wind movement in the Arabian Gulf is westerly to westerly northerly at speed of 10-35 km/h.
Wind: Light to moderate southeasterly, becoming Northeasterly and Northerly winds, freshening at times, causing blowing dust and sand with a speed of 18 30, reaching 40 km/hr.
As someone drawn to remote outposts, and with a thing about Vikings, I didn't take a lot of persuading to visit Unst, the most northerly isle in the Shetland Isles - and hence the most northerly part of the UK.
Surface and aerial damage surveys showed that the trees fell from a different direction (northerly) than the synoptic or mesoscale flow (southwesterly to southeasterly).
Strong winds brought by fresh southerly to northerly winds are expected to kick up blowing dust over exposed areas, the National Centre of Meteorology stated.
According to weather presenter Liam Dutton, it is caused when a northerly wind blows down through the Irish Sea and maintains its original direction over water.
Encyclopedia browser ?
- Northampton County
- Northampton, Henry Howard, earl of
- Northanger Abbey
- northbound node
- Northcliffe, Alfred Charles William Harmsworth, Viscount
- Northcote, James
- Northeast Boundary Dispute
- Northeast Canyons and Seamounts Marine National Monument
- Northeast Drift Current
- North-East Frontier Agency
- Northeast Passage
- northeast storm
- Northeast Sustainable Energy Association
- northeast trades
- Northeastern University
- northerly turning error
- northern anthracnose
- Northern Basin River Ports
- Northern blotting
- Northern Campaign of 1926–27
- Northern Cape
- Northern Caspian Oil and Gas Region
- Northern Caucasus
- Northern Caucasus Culture
- Northern Caucasus Economic Region
- Northern Caucasus Higher School Scientific Center SKNTs
- Northern Caucasus Meat and Wool Sheep
- Northern Caucasus Operation of 1920
- Northern Caucasus Railroad
- Northern Caucasus Soviet Republic
- Northern Caucasus Swine
- Northern Caucasus Turkey
- Northern Commune
- Northern Cross
- Northern Crown
- Northern Dvina
- Northern European Sea
- Northern Expedition
- Northern Fleet
Full browser ?
- Northen Telecom
- Northen Virginia Oncology Group
- Northend Coalition of Neighborhoods
- Norther Virginia Transportation Alliance
- northerly turning error
- Northern Aboriginal Research and Development Alliance
- Northern Academic Health Sciences Network
- Northern Adelaide and Barossa Catchment Water Management Board
- Northern Adelaide Business Enterprise Centre
- Northern Adelaide Plains
- Northern Adelaide Waste Management Authority
- Northern Adirondack Board of Realtors
- Northern Adriatic Ports Area Network
- Northern Advanced Manufacturing Industry Group
- Northern Aeronautical Maintenance Unit
- Northern Aerospace Technology Exploitation Centre
- Northern Affairs and National Resources
- Northern Africa
- Northern Africa
- Northern Africa and Middle East
- Northern Africa Region
- Northern Africa Regional Committee for START
- Northern Agricultural Region Taskforce
- Northern Agriculture Integrated Management Strategy
- Northern AIDS Prevention and Care
- Northern Air Command
- Northern Air Corporation
- Northern Air Material Area, Pacific
- Northern Air Transport Association
- Northern Airborne Technology