Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Acronyms, Wikipedia.
1. the point of the compass or direction midway between north and west, clockwise 315? from north
2. any area lying in or towards this direction
3. of or denoting the northwestern part of a specified country, area, etc.
4. in, to, towards, or (esp of the wind) from the northwest
1. the northwestern part of England, esp Lancashire and the Lake District
2. the northwestern part of the US, consisting of the states of Washington, Oregon, and sometimes Idaho
3. (in Canada) the region north and west of the Great Lakes
Collins Discovery Encyclopedia, 1st edition © HarperCollins Publishers 2005