haunch(redirected from on haunches)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical.
1. the human hip or fleshy hindquarter of an animal, esp a horse or similar quadruped
2. Architect the part of an arch between the impost and the apex
Collins Discovery Encyclopedia, 1st edition © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
Illustrated Dictionary of Architecture Copyright © 2012, 2002, 1998 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved
1. The middle part between the crown and the springing of an arch.
2. The part of a beam projecting beneath a roof slab or floor.
3. That portion of a pipe barrel extending from the bottom to the springline.
4. The lower third of the circumference of a pipe.
5. The deepened section of a beam near a support.
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of Architecture and Construction. Copyright © 2003 by McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.