part (redirected from on the part of)
Also found in: Dictionary
a. an actor's role in a play
b. the speech and actions which make up such a role
c. a written copy of these
2. Anatomy any portion of a larger structure
3. a component that can be replaced in a machine, engine, etc.
a. one of a number of separate melodic lines making up the texture of music
b. one of such melodic lines, which is assigned to one or more instrumentalists or singers
c. such a line performed from a separately written or printed copy
Collins Discovery Encyclopedia, 1st edition © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
The following article is from The Great Soviet Encyclopedia (1979). It might be outdated or ideologically biased.
(1) A component of an orchestral, musical-dramatic, or ensemble work intended for performance by a particular voice or musical instrument. In opera, there are two ways of designating solo vocal parts: by the type of voice (for example, soprano part, bass part) and by the name of the hero of the opera (for example, the part of German in Tchaikovsky’s The Queen of Spades).
(2) A section of the exposition (and recapitulation) in the sonata form.
The Great Soviet Encyclopedia, 3rd Edition (1970-1979). © 2010 The Gale Group, Inc. All rights reserved.
An element of a subassembly, not normally useful by itself and not amenable to further disassembly for maintenance purposes.
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of Scientific & Technical Terms, 6E, Copyright © 2003 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.
1. A dividing wall within a building; may be bearing or non-load-bearing.
2. In sound-transmission considerations, any building component (or a combination of components), such as a wall, door, window, roof, or floor-ceiling assembly, that separates one space from another.
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of Architecture and Construction. Copyright © 2003 by McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.