ordinary(redirected from ordinaries)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Legal, Financial, Idioms.
1. Law having regular or ex officio jurisdiction
2. Maths (of a differential equation) containing two variables only and derivatives of one of the variables with respect to the other
3. Civil law a judge who exercises jurisdiction in his own right
4. an ecclesiastic, esp a bishop, holding an office to which certain jurisdictional powers are attached
5. RC Church
a. the parts of the Mass that do not vary from day to day
b. a prescribed form of divine service, esp the Mass
6. History a clergyman who visited condemned prisoners before their death
A village tavern in an early American community.