Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Wikipedia.
Related to perpendicular: perpendicular slope
1. at right angles to a horizontal plane
2. denoting, relating to, or having the style of Gothic architecture used in England during the 14th and 15th centuries, characterized by tracery having vertical lines, a four-centred arch, and fan vaulting
3. Geometry a line or plane perpendicular to another
4. any instrument used for indicating the vertical line through a given point
5. Mountaineering a nearly vertical face
Collins Discovery Encyclopedia, 1st edition © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
Line or plane that meets another at right angles.
Illustrated Dictionary of Architecture Copyright © 2012, 2002, 1998 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved
Geometric objects are perpendicular if they intersect in an angle of 90°.
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of Scientific & Technical Terms, 6E, Copyright © 2003 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.