phrynoderma


Also found in: Dictionary, Medical.
Related to phrynoderma: keratosis pilaris

phrynoderma

[‚frī·nə′dər·mə]
(medicine)
Dryness of the skin with follicular hyperkeratosis, caused by vitamin A deficiency.
References in periodicals archive ?
AGE: Phrynoderma is uncommon below 5 years of age as well as above 15 years of age.
SOCIO-ECONOMIC STATUS: In the present study, majority of Phrynoderma patients were from lower income group (89%) and the rest were from middle income group (11%).
FAMILY HISTORY: In the present study, family history of Phrynoderma especially in siblings was 3% of patients which is comparable with other studies.
This is in accordance with the fact that the incidence of phrynoderma is higher in colder months of year.
Thus, Phrynoderma usually starts at the site of pressure and friction, which may act as predisposing factors.
Association of pityriasis alba and phrynoderma may be due to the prevalence of both diseases in the same age group i.e.
In the present study, association of Phrynoderma and lactation was due to increased nutritional demand and food restrictions followed in this part of the country during pregnancy and lactation
Sebaceous gland atrophy was seen in 20% patients; the reason may be that sebaceous gland atrophy is seen only in the later stage in typical papules of Phrynoderma and moreover serial sections are required to demonstrate the same.
The role of Vitamin A deficiency in Phrynoderma couldn't be proved conclusively in the present study, because of lack of biochemical evidences.
provides sufficient EFA, and Vitamin B-Complex are required for EFA metabolism, the EFAs may not play a direct role in the etiology of Phrynoderma, but may secondarily be affected due to Vitamin B-Complex deficiency.
CONCLUSION: Phrynoderma is a disease of young children and adolescents, commonly seen in patients belonging to lower income strata, clinically characterized by discrete, follicular, pinhead sized, acuminate, pigmented and skin colored papules with keratotic plugs and broken hairs.