tab(redirected from picked up the tab)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Idioms.
Related to picked up the tab: pale in comparison, without a hitch, worse for wear
a small auxiliary aerofoil on the trailing edge of a rudder, aileron, or elevator, etc., to assist in the control of the aircraft in flight
2. Slang a portion of a drug, esp LSD or ecstasy
a metal or plastic clamp or clip on a card in a card catalog. The tab shows the number of the card or a special code indicating the content of the indexed document.
1. A small, narrow drop curtain in a theater used to mask from view a portion of the stage.
2. A tableau curtain.
3. The lower end of a shingle; the visible portion of a roof shingle that remains uncovered.
A small auxiliary control surface forming part of the trailing edge of an aircraft's control surfaces. Tabs help in trimming and may also assist in moving primary controls. The various types of tabs are servotabs, fixed tabs, balance tabs, trim tabs, spring tabs, etc. See servotab, spring tab, and balance tabs.
tab(1) (TABlet) See tablet computer.
(2) To move the cursor on a display screen or the print head on a printer to a specified column (the tab stop). Pressing the Tab key on a keyboard moves the screen cursor horizontally to the right. Pressing Shift-Tab moves it to the left. However, in the ASCII character set, there are codes for both horizontal and vertical tabs. See tab stop.
(3) (TAB) See tape automated bonding.
(4) A visual identifier that appears in a row on screen and serves as a menu. Clicking the tab opens that dialog or page. See tabbed browsing.
|Dialog Box Tabs|
|On-screen tabs are widely used in control panels and other settings. In this Windows XP control panel example, the Appearance tab is currently selected.|