Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Wikipedia.
1. the rectangular slab or block that forms the lowest part of the base of a column, statue, pedestal, or pier
2. the lowest part of the wall of a building that appears above ground level, esp one that is formed of a course of stone or brick
3. a flat block on either side of a doorframe, where the architrave meets the skirting
The block forming the lowest member or base of a column or pedestal.
A slight widening at the base of a column or wall.
The lower and outer part of a seif dune, beyond the slip-face boundaries, that has never been subjected to sand avalanches.
1. A square or rectangular base for column, pilaster, or door framing.
2. A solid monumental base, often ornamented with moldings, bas reliefs, or inscriptions, to support a statue or memorial.
3. A recognizable base of an external wall, or the base courses of a building collectively, if so treated as to give the appearance of a platform.