principal(redirected from principally)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Wikipedia.
1. (in Britain) a civil servant of an executive grade who is in charge of a section
a. a person who engages another to act as his agent
b. an active participant in a crime
c. the person primarily liable to fulfil an obligation
3. the head of a school or other educational institution
4. (in Scottish schools) a head of department
a. the chief instrumentalist in a section of the orchestra
b. one of the singers in an opera company
c. either of two types of open diapason organ stops, one of four-foot length and pitch and the other of eight-foot length and pitch
6. the leading performer in a play
1. One on whose behalf or in whose name binding transactions may be entered into by another, usually called the agent.
2. One for whose debt or default another (called a surety) promises to make good.
3. In professional practice, any person legally responsible for the activities of such practice.
4. In a framed structure, a most important member, such as a truss which supports the roof.