1. Brit a person responsible for the artistic direction of a play, including interpretation of the script, preparation of the actors, and overall design
2. US and Canadian a person who organizes the stage production of a play, including the finance, management, etc.
3. the person who supervises the arrangement, recording, and mixing of a record
4. Economics a person or business enterprise that generates goods or services for sale
5. Chem an apparatus or plant for making producer gas
6. Ecology an organism, esp a green plant, that builds up its own tissues from simple inorganic compounds
Collins Discovery Encyclopedia, 1st edition © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
The following article is from The Great Soviet Encyclopedia (1979). It might be outdated or ideologically biased.
an agent of motion-picture companies in the USA and in other capitalist countries who has ideological, artistic, organizational, and financial control over a film’s production. Well-known directors, actors, and screenwriters who create their own film companies sometimes also function as producers.
The Great Soviet Encyclopedia, 3rd Edition (1970-1979). © 2010 The Gale Group, Inc. All rights reserved.