proprietary(redirected from proprietaries)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial.
Related to proprietaries: propriety
1. of, relating to, or belonging to property or proprietors
2. Med of or denoting a drug or agent manufactured and distributed under a trade name
3. Med a proprietary drug or agent
4. a proprietor or proprietors collectively
a. right to property
b. property owned
6. (in Colonial America) an owner, governor, or grantee of a proprietary colony
In marketroid-speak, superior; implies a product imbued with exclusive magic by the unmatched brilliance of the company's own hardware or software designers.
In the language of hackers and users, inferior; implies a product not conforming to open-systems standards, and thus one that puts the customer at the mercy of a vendor who can inflate service and upgrade charges after the initial sale has locked the customer in.