quincunx


Also found in: Dictionary, Financial, Wikipedia.

quincunx

1. Botany a quincuncial arrangement of sepals or petals in the bud
2. Astrology an aspect of 150? between two planets
Collins Discovery Encyclopedia, 1st edition © HarperCollins Publishers 2005

Quincunx

(religion, spiritualism, and occult)

A quincunx (also called an inconjunct) is a minor aspect of 150 degrees. The effect of a a quincunx is comparatively weak. With the exception of double quincunx (yod) configurations, quincunxes received little attention until relatively recently. Their influence was usually regarded as being mildly favorable, like a semisextile, but more recent interpreters regard them as a source of stress, requiring change and adjustment in the areas of the chart that they affect.

The Astrology Book, Second Edition © 2003 Visible Ink Press®. All rights reserved.

quincunx

An arrangement of elements so that four are symmetrically placed around a central one.
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of Architecture and Construction. Copyright © 2003 by McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.
References in periodicals archive ?
To the east of the space for the new villa, he built a summer parlor, and in the walled-up enclosure to the north, he planted trees in the well-regimented formation of quincunxes, though he kept the area divided in the middle with a broad walk.
The subject of the first chapter is Thomas Browne's Garden of Cyrus, a fascinating work that in its near-collapsing of natural and cultural realms (in both of which the 'quincunx' principle is displayed), epitomizes the period as Preston views it.
A magnitude, a quantity that can't be packed with ease like five into a quincunx pattern on the die or likewise echoed through the tree trunks' placement in an orchard.
The treatments were: M1) 3x2m spacing, quincunx arrangement with pioneer lines interspersed with non-pioneer lines, 50% pioneer and 50% non-pioneer composition (50P:50NP); [M2]) 3x2 spacing, quincunx arrangement, 100% pioneers composition (100P); M3) 3x2 spacing, regular arrangement with pioneers and pioneers interspersed in all lines, (50P-50NP); M4) 3x3 spacing, regular arrangement, 100P; and M5) 3x3 spacing, regular arrangement with even rows containing only pioneer species and odd rows with both ecological groups interspersed, 75% pioneer and 25% non-pioneer composition (75P-25NP).
(3) For a discussion of similar strategies as they appear in neo-Victorian texts like The Quincunx, see Carroll (186).
Leptochiton odhneri (Bergenhayn, 1931), known from the northwestern coast of Africa, the Canary Islands, and Madeira, has a more weakly sculptured tegmentum, with granules that are arranged in quincunx on the head valve, the lateral areas of intermediate valves, and the postmucronal area of the tail valve.
scolopaceus based on the lateral line pore pattern in which the quincunx is almost twice as wide as high.
It is held by Oyut Uln which is 90% owned by THR Oyu Tolgoi Ltd (a wholly owned subsidiary of THR) with the remaining 10% owned by Quincunx Ltd.
In [33,34], oriented ID multi-scale decomposition on a quincunx sampling grid was proposed, which obtains transform by adapting the lifting steps of an ID wavelet transform along local orientation.