1. any of a group of colours, such as that of a ripe tomato or fresh blood, that lie at one end of the visible spectrum, next to orange, and are perceived by the eye when light in the approximate wavelength range 740--620 nanometres falls on the retina. Red is the complementary colour of cyan and forms a set of primary colours with blue and green
2. red cloth or clothing
3. a red ball in snooker, billiards, etc.
4. (in roulette and other gambling games) one of two colours on which players may place even bets, the other being black
5. Archery a red ring on a target, between the blue and the gold, scoring seven points
6. of the colour red
7. reddish in colour or having parts or marks that are reddish
8. (of wine) made from black grapes and coloured by their skins
1. Communist, Socialist, or Soviet
2. radical, leftist, or revolutionary
3. a member or supporter of a Communist or Socialist Party or a national of a state having such a government, esp the former Soviet Union
4. a radical, leftist, or revolutionary
Collins Discovery Encyclopedia, 1st edition © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
What does it mean when you dream about the color red?
A color of vitality and energy, red symbolizes the heart and blood. Red can also represent the emotional state of anger or rage. This color also symbolizes profligacy, raciness, and the immorality of “fallen women” (e.g., Hester Prynne in The Scarlet Letter).
The Dream Encyclopedia, Second Edition © 2009 Visible Ink Press®. All rights reserved.
life-granting color; worn by brides and babies. [Asian Color Symbolism: Binder, 78]
Allusions—Cultural, Literary, Biblical, and Historical: A Thematic Dictionary. Copyright 2008 The Gale Group, Inc. All rights reserved.