Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Financial, Acronyms, Wikipedia.
1. the vertical part of a stair or step
2. a vertical pipe, esp one within a building
1. The vertical board under the tread of a step; a vertical supply pipe for a sprinkler system; a pipe for water, drainage, gas, steam, or venting that extends vertically through one or more stories and services other pipes.
2. The vertical face of a stair step.See also: Step
That portion of a bubble-cap assembly in a distillation tower that channels the rising vapor and causes it to flow downward to pass through the liquid held on the bubble plate.
A board placed vertically beneath the tread of a step in a staircase.
A vertical steam, water, or gas pipe.
A steplike topographic feature, such as a steep slope between terraces.
In an offshore drilling facility, a system of piping extending from the hole and terminating at the rig.
A raised spot in a weaving pattern where the warp traverses the weft or the filling.
1. The vertical face of a stair step.
2. Any upright face, as of a seat, platform, etc.
3. A platform on the stage of a theater or concert hall on which a performer is placed.
4. A water-supply, drainage, gas, steam, or vent pipe which extends vertically, one full story or more, to service several branches or a group of fixtures.
5. An electrical cable which extends vertically, one full story or more, to distribute electrical power to electric panels on the different floors of a building.
6. A duct, which extends vertically, one full story or more, to distribute air to branch ducts on the different floors of a building.
7. A vertical supply pipe for a fire sprinkler system.