Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical.
1. A recess in masonry to receive the end of a beam.
2. The slot in the pulley stile of a double-hung window frame, through which the sash weight is passed into the sash weight channel; a sash pocket.
3. A recess at the head or jamb of a wall opening to receive a curtain.
4. A recess in the interior jamb of a window to receive a folding shutter when open.
5. A recess in a wall to receive a folding door in the open position.
6.See stage pocket.
7. A well-defined opening between the annual rings which develops during the growth of a tree.
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of Architecture and Construction. Copyright © 2003 by McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.