Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Financial, Acronyms, Idioms, Wikipedia.
Related to scalp: dandruff
scalp, the integument covering the top of the head. It consists of three layers of tissue: the skin, an underlying layer of tissue and blood vessels, and the occipitofrontalis muscle stretching from the eyebrows to the back of the head. Except for its abundant growth of hair, the skin of the scalp resembles that of the rest of the body but is especially rich in blood vessels. Hence profuse bleeding may be associated with scalp injuries.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia™ Copyright © 2022, Columbia University Press. Licensed from Columbia University Press. All rights reserved.
To remove surface layers, and thereby defects, from ingots, billets, or slabs by machining.
To remove undesirable fine material from broken ore, stone, or gravel.
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of Scientific & Technical Terms, 6E, Copyright © 2003 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.
1. Anatomy the skin and subcutaneous tissue covering the top of the head
2. (among North American Indians) a part of this removed as a trophy from a slain enemy
3. Hunting chiefly US a piece of hide cut from the head of a victim as a trophy or as proof of killing in order to collect a bounty
4. Informal chiefly US a small speculative profit taken in quick transactions
5. Scot dialect a projection of bare rock from vegetation
Collins Discovery Encyclopedia, 1st edition © HarperCollins Publishers 2005