scalp(redirected from scalped)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Financial, Wikipedia.
scalp,the integument covering the top of the head. It consists of three layers of tissue: the skinskin,
the flexible tissue (integument) enclosing the body of vertebrate animals. In humans and other mammals, the skin operates a complex organ of numerous structures (sometimes called the integumentary system) serving vital protective and metabolic functions.
..... Click the link for more information. , an underlying layer of tissue and blood vessels, and the occipitofrontalis muscle stretching from the eyebrows to the back of the head. Except for its abundant growth of hairhair,
slender threadlike outgrowth from the skin of mammals. In some animals hair grows in dense profusion and is called fur or wool. Although all mammals show some indication of hair formation, dense hair is more common among species located in colder climates and has the
..... Click the link for more information. , the skin of the scalp resembles that of the rest of the body but is especially rich in blood vessels. Hence profuse bleeding may be associated with scalp injuries.
To remove surface layers, and thereby defects, from ingots, billets, or slabs by machining.
To remove undesirable fine material from broken ore, stone, or gravel.
1. Anatomy the skin and subcutaneous tissue covering the top of the head
2. (among North American Indians) a part of this removed as a trophy from a slain enemy
3. Hunting chiefly US a piece of hide cut from the head of a victim as a trophy or as proof of killing in order to collect a bounty
4. Informal chiefly US a small speculative profit taken in quick transactions
5. Scot dialect a projection of bare rock from vegetation