secretary(redirected from secretaryships)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Legal.
1. (in Britain) a senior civil servant who assists a government minister
2. (in the US and New Zealand) the head of a government administrative department
3. (in Britain) See secretary of state
4. (in Australia) the head of a public service department
5. Diplomacy the assistant to an ambassador or diplomatic minister of certain countries
Collins Discovery Encyclopedia, 1st edition © HarperCollins Publishers 2005