Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical.
smartphone featuresSmartphones include several built-in applications, and countless free and paid apps are available from their respective online stores. Tablets are essentially smartphones with larger screens and no built-in telephone capability (although Skype and other voice-over-Internet apps are available). Tablets may have only front-facing cameras for video calls, whereas smartphones have both front and rear cameras. See smartphone, tablet and how to select a mobile device.
Primary Built-In Applications
1. Phone and contact address book
3. Video calling (Apple FaceTime)
4. Web browser
7. Predictive typing (see predictive text).
8. Voice dictation
9. Voice-activated virtual assistant
(see Siri, Google Voice Search and Cortana).
10. Alarm clock, stopwatch, timer
13. Note taker
14. Music player
15. Photo album
16. Camera (still and video)
17. GPS navigation
19. App store search
Available for Download
Following are handy program categories out of the thousands of free and paid apps (see online app store). Depending on model, some of the following may come with the phone.
2. Dictionaries, encyclopedias
3. News, weather and stock markets
4. Video calling ( Skype, Tango, etc.)
5. Games and entertainment
6. E-book reader
7. Language translators
8. Retail store finders
9. Mobile tag readers (see QR code)
10. Converters (money, measurements)
11. Magnifying glass and mirror
12. Internet radio ( Pandora, etc.)
13. Music identifier ( Shazam)
14. YouTube viewer
15. Voice recorder
16. Emergency message sender
** Beware Flashlight Apps!
Third-party flashlights (and other seemingly useful software) may be malware, especially for the Android platform. Read the reviews on the Web, not just in the app store. All new phones have a flashlight app built in, although third-party flashlights may have a feature you like better. See malware.
Copyright © 1981-2019 by The Computer Language Company Inc. All Rights reserved. THIS DEFINITION IS FOR PERSONAL USE ONLY. All other reproduction is strictly prohibited without permission from the publisher.