Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Financial.
1. The height of a flight of stairs from landing to landing.
2. The height between successive treads of a stair.
3. The vertical distance such as that used to express the height of a roof slope compared to horizontal distance or run, or the vertical measurement from the face of one stair tread to the next.
4. In an arch, the vertical distance from the springing line to the highest point of the intrados.
5. Of elevators, same as travel.
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of Architecture and Construction. Copyright © 2003 by McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.