strutting piece

Also found in: Dictionary.

straining beam, straining piece, strutting piece

In a truss, a horizontal strut above the tie beam or above a line joining the feet of the rafters, commonly between the joists at midspan; esp. in a queen post truss, the strut between the upper ends of the two queen posts.
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of Architecture and Construction. Copyright © 2003 by McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.