tare(redirected from tared)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Wikipedia.
tare(târ), name sometimes used as a synonym for any vetchvetch,
common name for many weak-stemmed, leguminous herbs of the genus Vicia of the family Leguminosae (pulse family). The vetches are chiefly annuals, distributed over temperate regions of the Northern Hemisphere and of South America.
..... Click the link for more information. , most frequently for the common vetch. The tare of the Scriptures, a weed of grainfields and considered a seed of evil, is thought to have been the unrelated darnel (see rye grassrye grass,
short-lived perennial, leafy, tufted plant belonging to the family Poaceae (grass family). Two species are grown in the United States—Italian rye grass (Lolium multiflorum), the leading hay grass of Europe, and English, or perennial, rye grass (L.
..... Click the link for more information. ).
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia™ Copyright © 2013, Columbia University Press. Licensed from Columbia University Press. All rights reserved. www.cc.columbia.edu/cu/cup/
The weight of an empty vehicle or container; subtracted from gross weight to ascertain net weight.
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of Scientific & Technical Terms, 6E, Copyright © 2003 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.
1. any of various vetch plants, such as Vicia hirsuta (hairy tare) of Eurasia and N Africa
2. the seed of any of these plants
Bible a troublesome weed, thought to be the darnel
1. the weight of the wrapping or container in which goods are packed
2. a deduction from gross weight to compensate for this
3. the weight of a vehicle without its cargo, passengers, etc.
4. an empty container used as a counterbalance in determining net weight
Collins Discovery Encyclopedia, 1st edition © HarperCollins Publishers 2005