thrust(redirected from thrust on)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Idioms.
Related to thrust on: thrust bearing
1. a force, esp one that produces motion
a. a propulsive force produced by the fluid pressure or the change of momentum of the fluid in a jet engine, rocket engine, etc.
b. a similar force produced by a propeller
3. a pressure that is exerted continuously by one part of an object, structure, etc., against another, esp the axial force by or on a shaft
4. Geology the compressive force in the earth's crust that produces recumbent folds and thrust or reverse faults
5. Civil engineering a force exerted in a downwards and outwards direction, as by an arch or rafter, or the horizontal force exerted by retained earth
thrustSee launch vehicle.
The force exerted by beams against a wall; or the outward force of an arch, dome, or vault, counterbalanced if necessary by buttresses.
Overriding movement of one crystal unit over another. Also known as mountain thrust.
The force exerted in any direction by a fluid jet or by a powered screw.
Force applied to an object to move it in a desired direction.
The weight or pressure applied to a bit to make it cut.
A crushing of coal pillars caused by excess weight of the superincumbent rocks, the floor being harder than the roof.
The ruins of the fallen roof, after pillars and stalls have been removed.
1. The amount of push or force exerted by or on a structure.
2. In an arch, the resultant force normal to any cross section of the arch.
The forward aerodynamic force produced by a propeller, fan, or turbojet engine as it forces a mass of air to the rear of the air-plane.