travertine


Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Wikipedia.

travertine

(trăv`ərtĭn, –tēn), form of massive calcium carbonate, CaCO3, resulting from deposition by springs or rivers. It is often beautifully colored and banded as a result of the presence of iron compounds or other (e.g., organic) impurities. This material is variously known as calc-sinter and calcareous tufa and (when used for decorative purposes) as onyx marble, Mexican onyx, and Egyptian or Oriental alabaster. Travertine is generally less coarse-grained and takes a higher polish than stalactite and stalagmite, which are similar in chemical composition and origin.
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia™ Copyright © 2013, Columbia University Press. Licensed from Columbia University Press. All rights reserved. www.cc.columbia.edu/cu/cup/

travertine

A variety of limestone deposited by springs, usually banded, commonly coarse and cellular, often containing fossils; used as building stones, especially for interior facing or flooring. See also: Stone
Illustrated Dictionary of Architecture Copyright © 2012, 2002, 1998 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved

travertine

[′trav·ər‚tēn]
(geology)
Concretionary limestone deposited at the mouth of a hot spring.
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of Scientific & Technical Terms, 6E, Copyright © 2003 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.

travertine

A variety of limestone deposited by springs; usually banded; commonly coarsely cellular; used as building stone, esp. for interior facing and flooring; some varieties are sold as marble in the building trade.
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of Architecture and Construction. Copyright © 2003 by McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.
References in periodicals archive ?
The dining room benefits from a built-in range, Travertine floor tiling with underfloor heating and a window seat.
The cosy living room comes with a bay window, mock fireplace and natural travertine filed flooring.
Units at The Sandstone range from P166,000 per sq m to P202,000 per sq m, while The Travertine ranges from 172,000 per sq m to P203,000 per sq m.
Highlighting striking textures to create inspirational and elegant walls, Jotun's exterior category features a range of unique textures for home owners to choose from; Jotashield Decor Traditional Tex, Jotashield Decor Antique Tex, Jotashield Decor High Build, Jotashield Decor High Build Fine and the brand new Jotashield Decor Travertine.
Travertine tile is typically available in four common finishes: polished, honed, brushed and tumbled.
Changes/renovations/ extensions?: The couple have extensively renovated the property since purchasing it in 2006 - including making the kitchen and dining area open plan, adding Travertine flooring to the entrance hallway and decorating throughout.
Features include corniced ceilings, double glazing, oil-fired central heating, oak flooring, and travertine marble flooring throughout the kitchen and sun lounge.
Tilting, warping, and faulting of the Algerian crust were followed by travertine formation [9].
The region has around 450 million tons natural stone reserves almost 70% of production today consists of travertine and limestone, the remaining 30% being volcanic rocks.
Another great saving are the Classic Beige Travertine tiles.
A gracious entrance hall leads into the living and dining room with its large crown mouldings, travertine floors and almost 10-foot high ceilings, and opens to a private landscaped backyard garden decorated with flowering bushes, an orchid tree and palms all enclosed within a 10 foot high fichus hedge.
IZMIR, Jan 20, 2011 (TUR) -- Marble and travertine exports from Turkey shifted to Middle Eastern countries, China and Russia as demand from Western markets like U.S., Canada and the UK shrank with the impact of the financial crisis.