tympanoplasty

(redirected from tympanoplasties)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical.

tympanoplasty

[¦tim·pə·nō¦plas·tē]
(medicine)
A surgical procedure performed to eradicate disease in the middle ear cavity or to reconstruct the conductive mechanism.
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of Scientific & Technical Terms, 6E, Copyright © 2003 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.
Mentioned in ?
References in periodicals archive ?
Tympanoplasties as primary surgeries (PS) or reoperations (R) were also divided, with the latter being defined as having a failed previous tympanoplasty performed for the same reason.
Study of outcome of tympanoplasties in relation to size and site of tympanic membrane perforation.
Of the 66 patients who underwent combined-approach tympanoplasties, 40 (61%) reported no taste disturbance at any time; 13 (20%) had mild or moderate symptoms for up to 1 month; 4 (6%) had mild or moderate symptoms for up to 3 months; 3 (5%) had symptoms for up to 6 months; and 6 (9%) had ongoing symptoms for more than 1 year (table 1).
The surgical success of tympanoplasties can be evaluated in terms of graft uptake rates.
The mean duration of the 34 tympanoplasties in which the endoscope was successfully incorporated was 62.85 minutes ([+ or -] 15.57), and the mean duration of the 98 tympanoplasties in which the scutum was lowered was 71.23 minutes ([+ or -] 15.65); the difference is statistically significant (p < 0.005) (table 1).
Temporalis fascia remains the most commonly used material for tympanic membrane reconstruction, with a success rate of 93% to 97% in primary tympanoplasties. (7) However, during the last decade, there has been a renewal of interest in the use of cartilage as an alternative to more traditionally used temporalis fascia graft.
I am concerned that otology represents approximately half of what the average general otolaryngologist practices, and we certainly do not want to hurt his/her ability to perform otologic procedures such as placing ventilation tubes and performing tympanoplasties, etc., which are all part of a residency training program.
In our study of 1400 Cases of ENT surgeries, majority were tympanoplasties -31.7% (444), tympanoplasty with mastoidectomy -8.3% (116), with total 40% (560) for CSOM which occupies first position in our study.
In 1992, because of the ease of procurement, we began using periosteal bone (femur) as a replacement source in all ossiculoplasties, including tympanoplasties, tympanomastoidectomies, and stapedectomies.
Brackmann DE et al (2010) observed that simple mastoidectomy in all tympanoplasties is a good practice.