Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Acronyms, Idioms, Wikipedia.
Related to upset: upset stomach
1. a tool used to upset a bar or rivet; swage
2. a forging or bar that has been upset in preparation for further processing
upset[′əp‚set ( noun ); əp′set ( verb )]
To increase the diameter of a rock drill by blunting the end.
A defect occurring in timber as a result of a severe blow that breaks the fibers across the grain of the wood.
A localized increase in the cross-sectional area of a metal during working, caused by the application of pressure; enables a head to be formed on fasteners such as bolts.
A narrow heading connecting two levels in inclined coal.
A capsized or broken skip.
1. To shorten and thicken by hammering, as a bar of heated metal struck on the end.
2. In the region of a weld, a localized increase in volume resulting from the application of pressure.
3. A defect in timber due to a severe blow that breaks the fibers across the grain.