(redirected from urticaria pigmentosa)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Acronyms, Wikipedia.
Related to urticaria pigmentosa: Systemic mastocytosis


Hives or nettle rash; a skin condition characterized by the appearance of intensely itching wheals or welts with elevated, usually white centers and a surrounding area of erythema. Also known as hives.
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of Scientific & Technical Terms, 6E, Copyright © 2003 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.
The following article is from The Great Soviet Encyclopedia (1979). It might be outdated or ideologically biased.



nettle rash, an allergic reaction characterized by the sudden and rapid appearance on the skin (sometimes also on the laryngeal mucosa) of intensely itching wheals.

Urticaria is often caused by the sting of the nettle and certain other plants. Insect bites, temperature, and chemical agents are also among its causes. Other factors include parasitic worms, chronic constipation, liver and kidney diseases, and allergic sensitivity to some foods (for example, strawberries, citrus fruits, eggs, mushrooms, preserves, certain fish, pork, and chocolate). Urticaria is sometimes caused by hypersensitivity to drugs (especially to those of chemical origin). The rash associated with the condition is a manifestation of the inflammatory reaction and edema of the skin that result from a sudden increase in the permeability of the capillaries in the area. This results from the liberation of histamine from the mast cells of the skin by allergic alteration. Urticaria usually disappears without a trace within a few hours, although it sometimes recurs. It is treated by purgation (by enemas, laxatives), special diet (mostly milk and vegetables, with limited salt intake), and desensitizing and anti-histaminic agents.


Pavlov, S. T. Kozhnye i venericheskie bolezni, 2nd ed. Moscow, 1969.


The Great Soviet Encyclopedia, 3rd Edition (1970-1979). © 2010 The Gale Group, Inc. All rights reserved.
References in periodicals archive ?
Systemic involvement is rare in urticaria pigmentosa.
Clinical features typical for urticaria pigmentosa include reddish-brown macules and slightly raised plaques on the skin of the entire body.
An anomalous mottled rash accompanied by pruritus, factitious urticaria and pigmentation: Urticaria pigmentosa. Trans Clin Soc London 1878; 11:161-3.
Urticaria pigmentosa - Report of a case with autopsy.
General anesthesia in a child with urticaria pigmentosa. Anesth Analg 1980; 59:704-706.
Subdiagnostic, prior to KIT variation testing, patients who either did not completely satisfy the SM-WHO criteria or their SM-WHO criteria were at the time untested or unknown, but were potential SM cases because they presented with various clinical symptoms such as splenomegaly or urticaria pigmentosa. (b) Includes D816Y and D816N.
The diagnosis of the skin disease was based on the clinical criteria for urticaria pigmentosa, e.g.
19 of the patients (90%) had urticaria pigmentosa (UP) and the remaining two patients (10%) had nodular mastocytosis (NM).
The most common skin manifestation is the generalized maculopapular variety called urticaria pigmentosa. Other forms are solitary mastocytoma, and less commonly, diffuse cutaneous mastocytosis.