wet(redirected from wet whistle)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Idioms.
1. rainy, foggy, misty, or humid
2. employing a liquid, usually water
3. Chiefly US and Canadian characterized by or permitting the free sale of alcoholic beverages
4. damp or rainy weather
5. Brit informal a Conservative politician who is considered not to be a hard-liner
6. Chiefly US and Canadian a person who advocates free sale of alcoholic beverages
7. the wet Austral (in northern and central Australia) the rainy season
Collins Discovery Encyclopedia, 1st edition © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
A liquid is said to wet a solid if the contact angle between the solid and the liquid, measured through the liquid, lies between 0 and 90°, and not to wet the solid if the contact angle lies between 90 and 180°.
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of Scientific & Technical Terms, 6E, Copyright © 2003 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.