world(redirected from What in the World)
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Idioms, Wikipedia.
1. the earth as a planet, esp including its inhabitants
2. mankind; the human race
3. the universe or cosmos; everything in existence
4. a complex united whole regarded as resembling the universe
5. any star or planet, esp one that might be inhabited
6. an area, sphere, or realm considered as a complete environment
7. Logic See possible world
Collins Discovery Encyclopedia, 1st edition © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
Pertaining to Lorentz transformations and four-dimensional space-time, rather than rotations and three-dimensional space, as in world scalar, world vector, world line.
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of Scientific & Technical Terms, 6E, Copyright © 2003 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.